Saturday, April 17, 2010

Day of Silence

The day before the day of silence, my friend and i agreed on trying our best to do it and we did. My dad bought me a white board and marker with an eraser cap that day. During the beginning of the day, i forgot all about the day of silence and so when i woke up i was talking and i asked my dad to print something out for me and then i went to school and apparently my friends forgot because i talked to them, and then later when i found those friends again, they wouldn't reply to what i was saying and immediately, i remembered and closed my mouth and took out my white board and talked to them with that. I'm not gay or bisexual, I'm straight obviously, but i still wanted to do it and i guess according to the paper i would be considered an ally to those kinds of people. So i ordered food from the student store that day with the white board and they acted as if it was normal because its the day of silence. So for the rest of the day until Spanish, i talked. I had to talk during Spanish because we were doing a partner thing and i had no choice but to talk. In science we took notes and no one bothered me. In English i wrote "Can i have a paper clip please" to my teacher on my white board and she got me it and then announced how some people were honoring that day and she honors and i liked that. Actually in the morning i reminded two of my friends to do it and they did. In Comp. Prog1, my friend bothered me a lot about not talking and said it wasn't going to do anything. I don't know if it would do anything, although i was hoping it would, but i still did it anyway. In P.E. no one bothered me about it and i actually saw other people doing it. In Spanish, i obviously had to talk. Math was funny, because the teacher kept asking me questions like, whats your favorite color, and where did you get this white board. I had to look at her weird or shrug. It was funny. So then i saw my two friends who reminded me and they were talking away and then they actually criticized me for doing it after school. We walked to the bus stop with a bunch of other friends and they were all talking and criticizing me and it was annoying but i still didn't talk. I didn't talk for the rest of the day either. I was actually up until 12:00 that night so at 12:00 is when i talked because it was the next day: today. My brother and sister even copied me by not talking and it was great. By the end of the day, my pen for the white board was pretty much out of ink. So i did it and next time, i hopefully can do it for the whole entire day even in the morning.

2 comments:

Denise said...

I'm proud of you. Keeping quiet all day long showed how people who are "silenced" are not just discriminated against, or hurt, or mocked at school; it's their entire lives, every day, anywhere. Good for you.

Anonymous said...

Excuse for that I interfere ?To me this situation is familiar. It is possible to discuss. Write here or in PM.