Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sunday at Mammoth

I only talked about the Saturday of the Mammoth weekend and now i will talk about the Sunday. Sunday was the best. The day went like this. I woke up and sat at the table upstairs with almost everyone, there was one friend still sleeping. I came to actually eat breakfast but apparently we didn't then. Instead we played cards. We actually played Texas hold 'em but we didn't have chips but we had a large bowl of pistachios so we used those. The guy on the left of me was talking about his past experiences of losing at poker and eventually he won the whole thing. We got tired of that so my dad dealt two cards to each of us and told us to put up one and he did that after the betting round and everything until we each had 5 cards with 4 turned up. I had already lost all my pistachios in Texas hold 'em and so did the guy next to me so we played but betting with the pistachios in the bowl. It was weird and the guy to the left of me still won. Then my dad told me to get dressed and told me we weren't going snowboarding because the adults didn't want to and the main guy had a fractured rib. So we went back and we started to play rummy and the two kids said alright lets go skiing and snowboarding and that got my hopes up a little and eventually we went down there and signed me up for snowboarding lessons at 12:45 until 4:00 which is when the mountain closes. We also rented the snowboard and boots and that's pretty much all we rented and we brought it back to the condo. We left the other two kids there and my dad and his friends went to eat. So we arrived at a restaurant and ordered drinks and then my dad was telling the main guy how we could get much better food and a fancier place and they were debating on leaving or not and then we left and they hadn't even served the drinks yet. We ate at a much potentially better place, we didn't really know because we didn't eat at the other place but this place had the best pancakes i had ever had in my life. They were awesome so it was most likely better than the other place. I was starting to get worried about not making it to the lesson on time but we did. We went to the condo to get the snowboard and gear and everything for me. We arrived down there and the instructor inspected what i was wearing. I was wearing two pairs of cotton socks which apparently feels and acts like sandpaper when its wet so i was supposed to get snowboarding socks. I was wearing Reebok spandex pants which were okay. Blue Jeans which weren't, and baggy blue waterproof pants which could have been less baggy. All that was tucked into the boot and it wasn't supposed to be tucked in there and he fit his hand inside the boot which he explained to me as being way to loose so he tightened it up and i was okay there. I was wearing a red turtle neck shirt, then a red long sleeve shirt, then my regular jacket, then a snowboard jacket. There wasn't anything wrong with that. Then i had my beanie with my really dark glasses under it. No helmet of snowboard goggles. Everyone else had dressed normally though. I was wearing the craziest stuff i guess. Oh well. So we started with getting up after we attached our boots to the snowboard and stopping on our heels. It was easy for me. I caught on the quickest because i just loved it. Then we learned how to turn. Everything was easy. People were falling and couldn't get up though. It was hard to walk back up the little slope we were on because of the thin air. It got really hot so i took off my snow jacket but it kept flying off the fence so i put it under the instructor's board because he was helping other people and not using his board. Eventually we went on the ski lift for awhile and we didn't even get strapped in or anything. What if we fell! I didn't though. No one did to my knowledge. I went down the slope the fastest and i turned the board to go fast and i tried to stop too fast so i fell really hard on my tailbone and lied there in pain for awhile. Then i got back up and went down and i was waiting for the rest of the group and i didn't see them at all so i went back to the lift and went down and saw the instructor with the group in the middle of the mountain and apparently we were supposed to stop there to learn something new but when he was talking about flags before we went down, i thought he was just saying not to go past them as in not falling off the cliff. So the group was learning something new which was snowboarding on your toes and stopping like that so pretty much going backwards. It was crazy and i didn't try. I was a little relieved though because i think i would have fallen a lot more but i might have gotten it quick. By then we went back to the meeting spot and we were done so i left to go back to the lift and snowboarded the mountain again and then my dad came and as i was nearing the bottom i turned the board to go fast and then stopped going really fast and the board caught snow and i fell straight onto my face like a big old smack! It was kinda cool. I went down the mountain again and then we left. We saw one of the group members in the learning session and he told my dad that i learned super quick and better than any one. We then returned everything and went on the road and apparently the people we were with had already left and packed up while we were snowboarding so we hit the road. My dad realized as we passed the restaurant that we left to go to the other one that he left his camera there So he sent me to get it so i tried opening the door and then banging on it and it didn't open and no one came. I tried the back door and heard music back there and saw lights on but no one came. My dad then called the place and they said they had it and that they weer open. I tried the front door again and it actually opened. I was mad that they didn't open it in the first place so they gave us the camera and we left. We got home by about 10:30 which was great. That's the Sunday. Hope you enjoyed the burden of reading my longest post yet. By the way, the snowboarding was probably the best thing ever and it was definitely the highlight of the day.

No comments: